skip navigation

Stoppage Time PK Ends Roughnecks Season

By Tulsa Roughnecks FC, 10/21/17, 10:00PM CDT


Spanish Version

The Tulsa Roughnecks debut in the USL Cup Playoffs ended with a crushing defeat Saturday night as San Antonio edged TRFC 2-1 after a controversial penalty kick decision in second-half stoppage time.  Ever Guzman gave San Antonio the victory when he converted the penalty kick halfway through six minutes of added time.

The defeat ends Tulsa’s season, while San Antonio advances to the Western Conference semifinals.

Playing in their first-ever playoff game, the night began promisingly for the Roughnecks as they took an initial lead, opening the scoring 23 minutes into the match.  The goal came from a brilliant strike from Paris Gee, whose right-footed blast from 25 yards left San Antonio goalkeeper Diego Restrepo with no chance.  It was the first goal of the season for Gee.

San Antonio nearly got an equalizer in the 36th minute when Billy Forbes rattled the crossbar with his right-footed effort, but TRFC carried its one-goal lead into the halftime break.

The Roughnecks remained in front through the first quarter hour of the second half, before San Antonio equalized in the 61st minute.  Midfielder Omar Gordon tried a shot from distance, and his rolling effort was redirected into the far corner of the net by Cesar Elizondo to level the score at 1-1.

It remained tied until the controversial events one minute into stoppage time.  On the counter attack, the speedy Billy Forbes raced into the penalty area.  At the edge of the box, TRFC midfielder Jonathan Levin appeared to tap the ball away from Forbes as both players fell to the ground, but the referee emphatically pointed to the spot, giving San Antonio the chance at a winner.

With the golden chance to gain the victory, Guzman made no mistake on the PK, sending Tulsa goalkeeper Fabian Cerda the wrong way as he placed his shot into the net.

The penalty kick brought a disappointing end to TRFC’s most-successful season in its three-year history.  Tulsa won a club record 14 games during the regular season in claiming its first playoff berth.

San Antonio FC 2 Tulsa Roughnecks FC 1
October 21, 2017
USL Cup Playoffs – Western Conference Quarterfinals
Toyota Field – San Antonio, TX

Scoring Summary: 
TUL – Gee 23’
SA – Elizondo (Gordon) 61’
SA – Guzman (PK) 90 +4’


Misconduct Summary:
TUL – Ayala (caution) 53’
SA – McCarthy (caution) 55’
TUL – Levin (caution) 90 +2’

San Antonio FC:  Diego Restrepo. Mark O O’Jong, Sebastien Ibeagha©, Stephen McCarthy, Greg Cochrane, Ryan Roushandel, Pecka (Michael Reed 88’), Omar Gordon (Kris Tyrpak 77’) Cesar Elizondo, Billy Forbes, Ever Guzman.

Shots: 22; Shots on Goal: 6; Saves: 2; Fouls: 8; Corners: 8; Offside: 0.

Tulsa Roughnecks FC:  Fabian Cerda, Jaime Ayala, Modou Jadama, Bradley Bourgeois, Jorge Corrales, Jonathan Levin, Paris Gee (Francisco Ugarte 90 +7’), Joaquin Rivas, Juan Pablo Caffa©, Joey Calistri Christian Thierjung (Ian Svantesson 88’).

Shots: 11; Shots on Goal: 3; Saves: 4; Fouls: 9; Corners: 6; Offside: 0.

Tulsa's season ended with a heartbreaking loss in San Antonio Saturday night. (Darren Abate)