skip navigation

Roughnecks Lose 3-1 In San Antonio

By tulsaadmin, 05/01/16, 5:45PM CDT


The Tulsa Roughnecks ended their goalless drought Saturday night, but still dropped a 3-1 decision in San Antonio.  San Antonio FC broke a 1-1 tie with a pair of late second-half goals to gain the victory before a crowd of 7,837 in the Alamo City.

The defeat leaves the Roughnecks with four points on the season with a 1-4-1 record through six matches.  SAFC improved to 2-2-2 and eight points with the win.

Tulsa entered the match without a goal in its past three matches and the scoreless streak continued through the first 45 minutes.  The Roughnecks produced very few threats going forward and fell a goal behind in the 38th minute.  

Match Photos by Darren Abate Media, LLC

San Antonio opened the scoring when Carlos Alvarez beat defender Matt Whatley inside the penalty area before slipping his shot past goalkeeper Alex Mangels to make it 1-0.

The Roughnecks opened the second 45 minutes on the attack and the pressure paid off after only four minutes.  Sammy Ochoa found space on the left side and delivered a low cross into the box that found Kaleem.  The Pakistan International ran perfectly onto the cross and pounded his shot past SAFC goalkeeper Josh Ford to even the score at 1-1.  It was Kaleem’s first regular season goal for the Roughnecks.

After Kaleem’s strike, the Roughnecks looked to produce a second goal, but threatening crosses from David Abidor and Brady Ballew failed to generate a dangerous chance.

San Antonio slowly started to retake control of the match.  Carlos Alvarez twice tested Mangels with a pair of long distance efforts, and Chin struck the crossbar.

The pressure eventually produced a second goal for SAFC in the 68th minute.  Rafael Castillo beat Ballobi at the top of the box and fired a shot that deflected off the gloves and Mangels before settling into the back of the net to give San Antonio a 2-1 lead.

Twenty minutes later, poor defending from the Roughnecks sealed the outcome as a trio of Tulsa defenders failed to clear the danger of a San Antonio run forward.  Mangels saved one shot, but the deflection found Jason Johnson at the 18-yard line, and his left-footed shot curved inside the far post to make it 3-1.

The loss leaves Tulsa without a victory in its past five matches following a season-opening win over Rio Grande Valley.

The Roughnecks will have to try to reverse their form on the road, as their next three matches will be away from ONEOK Field.  Tulsa will quickly return to action with a trip to the Pacific Northwest. The Roughnecks will travel to Canada on Wednesday to take on the Vancouver Whitecaps 2 before moving to Seattle for a matchup with Sounders 2 on Sunday.  Wednesday’s match in Vancouver will kickoff at 9:00pm Central Time.