skip navigation

Roughnecks Drop Rematch With Galaxy II

By tulsaadmin, 06/25/16, 8:15PM CDT


Just one week after playing to an entertaining draw at ONEOK Field, the Tulsa Roughnecks and the Los Angeles Galaxy II met again Friday night in California.  It proved to be a frustrating night for the Roughnecks who failed to convert several dangerous chances, and the Galaxy II scored a goal in each half to gain a 2-0 victory.

The match started at a quick pace as each side produced early chances.  In the fourth minute, Tulsa’s Gustavo Villalobos beat the Los Dos backline for a solo run at goal, but his shot was turned away by goalkeeper Bennett Sneddon.

Just one minute later, the Galaxy II took advantage of a mistake to take the lead.  Gary Cennerazzo attempted to flick a header back to goalkeeper Alex Mangels, but the ball met Adonis Amaya in stride.  Amaya calmly circled Mangels and finished to give Los Dos the 1-0 lead.

Tulsa pushed forward looking for an equalizer and it nearly came in the 16th minute as captain Sammy Ochoa’s header was on frame, but it was kept out on a diving Sneddon.

In the 23rd minute, a dangerous corner kick from Jasson Ramos Carpio fell to an unmarked David Abidor, but the defender’s blast went high over the crossbar.

The best chance of the half for the Roughnecks came in the final minute on a free kick from just outside the box.  Ramos Carpio’s curling right-footed shot appeared headed for the lower, left corner of the goal, but Sneddon was again up to the task, making another diving save.

The biggest play of the match occurred seconds after the start of the half.  LA forward Jose Villarreal collided with Abidor at the top corner of the penalty area, and referee Farhad Darkho promptly pointed to the penalty spot.

Galaxy midfielder Alejandro Covarrubias sent Mangels the wrong way and converted the spot kick to double the lead and put the Roughnecks in a 2-0 hole.

Shortly after the goal, head coach David Irving turned to his bench, using four of his available substitutes in search of a goal.  Irving brought on Kaleem, Brady Ballew, Cristian Mata and newcomer Matt LaGrassa.

TRFC came close several times to producing the goal that would get it back in the match.  In the 54th minute, Ochoa’s header on a cross found the back of the net, but the assistant referee’s flag was up for an offside call.

Tulsa’s frustrating night continued in the 77th minute.  Defender Raymond Lee ran perfectly onto a free kick cross from Villalobos, but his right-footed volley caromed off the crossbar, keeping the Roughnecks scoreless.

The Roughnecks’ chances of a comeback ended in the 87th minute when Villalobos collided from behind with Villarreal and Ballew.  All three players hit the ground and Villalobos was shown a red card by Darkho, reducing TRFC to 10 men.

Ballew did have one final chance in added time, but his right-footed volley in front of goal slid across the goal mouth.

The Roughnecks will return to action in one week when they host Arizona United at ONEOK Field on Friday, July 1.  It will be the first of two home matches in three days as they will face San Antonio FC on Sunday, July 3.  In celebration of the July 4th Holiday Weekend, Fireworks Spectaculars will follow both matches.  Kickoff each night is scheduled for 7:30pm in downtown Tulsa