skip navigation

Roughnecks Beaten In Black Gold Derby

By tulsaadmin, 07/24/16, 8:00PM CDT


It proved to be a frustrating trip down the Turner Turnpike Saturday night for Tulsa Roughnecks FC as the Black Gold Derby rivalry with the Oklahoma City Energy resumed.  On a sweltering 100-degree night in Oklahoma City, the Roughnecks lost to their Oklahoma rivals 3-0 at Taft Stadium.

Photo Left: Several of the Roustabouts made the trip to OKC

Tulsa was issued six yellow cards, one red card and the Energy were given a penalty kick in a difficult night for TRFC.

The Roughnecks, who had suffered only one loss in their past four matches, were without the services of goalkeeper Alex Mangels due to sickness.  Left back Iarfhlaith Davoren was also unavailable due to an injury he suffered after being tackled from behind in last week's win over Saint Louis.

Saturday's derby meeting with the Energy started positively for Tulsa with very little difference between the two sides during the first half hour.

But, the match changed on a key call in the 45th minute.  On a corner kick for OKC, TRFC midfielder was called for a foul off the ball and the Energy were awarded a penalty kick.  In addition, Roughnecks captain Sammy Ochoa was given a yellow card for rushing the referee.

Michael Thomas sent goalkeeper Jake Feener the wrong way and converted the penalty kick to give the Energy the critical one-goal lead.

The goal was the first conceded by Tulsa in 235 minutes of play.

The goal changed the match for the Roughnecks as OKC has surrendered only 13 goals during the regular season, the best defensive mark in the USL.                 

Seven minutes after the halftime interval, the Energy doubled their lead.  A clearance went to an unmarked Sebastian Dalgaard at the edge of the penalty box, and the midfielder blasted a left-footed shot into the upper portion of the net to make it 2-0.

Photo Right of Isaiah Schafer by Lori Scholl

Any hopes of a comeback for Tulsa disappeared in the 76th minute when Ochoa was shown a second yellow for an apparent foul on a clearance near midfield.

Ochoa was sent to the locker room as his teammates pleaded with referee Andrew Musashe for an explanation.

The red card marked the third time in the past five matches that an Energy opponent has been issued a red card.  It is the fifth time it has happened this season.

Down to 10 men, the Roughnecks conceded again in the 89th minute as Colin Bonner headed in a cross to make the final score 3-0.

The Roughnecks will return to action next Saturday, July 30,TRFC will travel to Arizona United SC with kickoff at 9:30pm CDT.  Tulsa recorded a 3-2 win on July 1 at ONEOK Field in the first meeting this season between the two teams.